This RRTC conducts three research projects and five training projects, providing a comprehensive approach to improving participation in all areas of community integration for all persons with Traumatic Brain Injury, including minorities.
- Research Project 1 is a randomized controlled trial of a community-based contextualized intervention to improve memory and memory-related participation activities. This trial compares the effectiveness of a contextualized memory intervention provided in the participant's home to standard instruction in use of a memory notebook for improving functional memory and community participation.
- Research Project 2 is a randomized controlled trial of an extended case coordination service to maximize access to and benefit from state vocational rehabilitation services. This trial compares employment outcomes for persons receiving a case coordination intervention to those only receiving a referral for state vocational rehabilitation services.
- Research Project 3 develops a comprehensive list of symptoms of TBI and, based on this list, creates a classification system for persons with TBI utilizing symptoms, and barriers and facilitators for community integration. This system deploys an innovative, user-friendly, web-based application. Training and technical assistance activities facilitate the widespread dissemination of educational materials on evidence-based strategies for improving function and participation after TBI.
- Training Project 1 translates evidence-based compensatory strategies for the management of cognitive and emotional problems after TBI by survivors and caregivers.
- Training Project 2 provides outreach, general education and technical assistance to staff at community institutions that offer opportunities for participation in leisure activities and social networking.
- Training Project 3 provides training and education to non-specialist healthcare and educational professionals in the needs of persons with TBI and how to adapt services to meet the needs of persons with TBI.
- Training Project 4 develops and conducts training sessions for persons with TBI and their caregivers on how to use the Internet and social networking websites.
- Training Project 5 develops a user-friendly web-based TBI classification utility to generate case conceptualizations and treatment recommendations, and provides training and technical assistance to support the use of the utility.