T5: Training of Healthcare Professionals in the Community Integration Needs of Persons with TBI
Project Director: Margaret A. Struchen, Ph.D.
Many individuals with TBI will be receiving their primary medical services, behavioral healthcare services, and case management services from non-specialist professionals. Family practice physicians, internists, psychologists, counselors, and social workers who may be unfamiliar with TBI may become the primary service provider, particularly as the time since injury increases. This project is designed to develop educational materials for non-specialist healthcare professionals about the community integration needs of persons with TBI.
- Creation of a training manual for Clinical Social Workers to facilitate serving persons with TBI: "Systematic Approach to Social Work Practice: Working With Clients With Traumatic Brain Injury".
- Creation of a training manual for Clinical Psychologists to facilitate serving persons with TBI: "Guidebook for Psychologists Working With Clients With TBI".
- Creation of a series of four podcast modules to train primary care physicians to facilitate serving persons with TBI: "Assisting Patients With Traumatic Brain Injury: A Brief Guide for Primary Care Physicians":
- Module 1: The Basics of TBI (mp3 file)
- Module 2: Diagnostic Issues and Using Neuropsychological Reports (mp3 file)
- Module 3: Comorbid Emotional and Behavioral Conditions of TBI (mp3 file)
- Module 4: Strategies for and Modifications to Primary Care Clinical Practice to Effectively Accommodate Persons With TBI (mp3 file)